Saturday, September 25, 2010

It's For Real and It's Spectacular

Teri Hatcher is finally coming to Smallville as the mother of Lois Lane. Since Lois' mother is dead in Smallville continuity, she will be appearing via old Lane home movies, according to my sources, in the 8th episode of the season. This technique gets around the fact that Teri is really only about fourteen years older than current Lois Erica Durance and still a bit young to be the mother of a 30-something. I find it quite exciting - among my many disreputable comic fan credentials is that I was a fan of Lois and Clark. Teri was actually the first incarnation of Lois that made me understand why Clark was so hung up on her. I don't mean just that she was attractive, but her Lois had a lovable personality beneath her brash demeanor. Erica Durance has played the part a bit differently, in that while Teri's Lois was using her tough exterior to conceal a certain softness, Durance is tougher through and through, though certainly likable.


In other Smallville related news, Chloe Sullivan is set to make her comic debut this week, after many teases and false hopes, in the Jimmy Olsen backup in Action Comics. It's about time she was incorporated into the Superman comic world. It may seem like the tail wagging the dog, but Jimmy himself first appeared in the Superman radio show in the early forties before being adapted into the comics. There are more modern cases of extra-comic characters being incorporated into the comics, Harley Quinn coming to mind first. Not clear is if she will actually be Lois' cousin as in the show.

8 comments:

Diabolu Frank said...

Hatcher remains my favorite live action Lois. If only Dana Delany could have been given a shot, but we'll always have the cartoon. Anyway, I don't like preexisting characters being radically altered because of other media, but a good character who enriches the mythos shouldn't be excluded because they didn't originate in comics. Also, the tail swagging sometimes yields dividends, like the Huntress being brought into the Birds of Prey.

Aaron said...

I actually liked the Birds of Prey show as well, despite its various liberties it had a lot going for it...so was Huntress brought in after the show? I didn't realize that. I guess another example was how the marriage of Lois and Clark in comics got pushed through really fast because it was happening on the show. I mean they'd been involved for a while, but I think the writers had to resolve a tiff between them really fast, if I recall.

rob! said...

If Hatcher will be Lois' Mom only in flashbacks, then the age difference isn't as much of a problem.

Seems like the show's producers are trying to end the show with a bang, cramming as much crazy stuff in as possible!

LissBirds said...

I heard about this the other day and it makes me feel so old!! I used to love watching Lois and Clark when I was a kid. But it makes me feel a little better to know she's only 14 years older than Erica Durance.

Do I want to know why Superman is hitting poor Lois?

Diabolu Frank said...

Aaron, yup.

Aaron said...

Yes the Flashback thing works well for explaining their lack of age difference.

People didn't need a reason to spank in the Silver Age.

LissBirds said...

Or the Golden Age, either, I'm guessing!

I just realized the title of this post was a Seinfeld reference. That made me happy.

Aaron said...

That pic maybe is a little more Golden Age...hard to say...

Seinfeld! One show I can watch over and over again!