Wednesday, October 6, 2010

The Fancy Way To Read Classic Superhero Comic Strips

This is from the current catalog of Easton Press Leather Bound Books. My mom is addicted to these and brought it to my attention that they are finally binding something worthwhile. Haha, I joke - I like a lot of the books they put out, which either look like or are made to look like they belong in the library of Dr. Frasier Crane. When it comes to collecting classic books, I generally prefer pulpy old paperpacks with trippy painted covers, but to each his own. I'm pretty happy with trade paperbacks for my classic comic strip needs, but I suppose if you want to read some original Sunday Superman while wearing a smoking jacket, in your comfy easy chair in the study, whilst sipping a Cognac and smoking a fine cigar, the good people at Easton will set you up.

I also included the Universal Monsters book in the scan because it looks quite cool, and shows the Easton people rightly recognize an overlap between comic fans and classic monster lovers. The catalog also advertises a leather bound copy of the book Stan Lee: Excelsior; as well as many bound volumes of classic sci-fi that apparently include reproductions of the pulpy covers, such as the E.E. Smith "Lensman" books that were likely an inspiration for the Green Lantern concept.

4 comments:

LissBirds said...

I always loved looking at the catalog for those gilded books, but never could bring myself to buy any, because I'd be too afraid to ruin it by reading it. :) But it's nice to see comics represented in 22K Gold. If I ever feel the hankering to wear the female equivalent of a tweed suit with elbow patches, I'll know where to get my comics from now on.

Aaron said...

That's the thing - I like a book I can be casual with. Though when you have a bunch of those gilded books, they do smell nice. But so do pulpy books!

Tina Fey looks darn good in a blazer, I'm sure you can too! :)

LissBirds said...

I go so far as to take the dust jackets off of hardcovers when I'm reading them, so they don't get creased...

Blazers, yes, but I draw the line at smoking a pipe and sipping sherry. :) (Though Frasier was my favorite sitcom for the longest time.)

Aaron said...

Frasier was fun - and the reason these books make me think of him is I remember once in Cheers when he was showing an original Tale of Two Cities edition he'd bought for hundreds of dollars, and then Woody said something like, "I wanna show you something Dr. Crane, it's called a library card." Haha!