Wednesday, June 29, 2011

The January Jones Effect


...is a term I have coined for when a performer appearing in a comic book film has a name that sounds even more like a comic book character's name than the name of the character they are playing.

New case in point is the young actor Sebastian Stan, appearing next month as Bucky Barnes, Captain America's ill-fated sidekick in the motion picture Captain America: The First Avenger being released on July22


Will the appearance of Bucky in a successful film convince movie makers that boy sidekicks can work in superhero flicks? Only time will tell, old chum, only time will tell.

6 comments:

LissBirds said...

His name is "Sebastian Stan?" You just can't make up things like that.

I'm actually somewhat excited for this Captain America film, even though I haven't read one Captain America comic in my life...

Aaron said...

Sometimes it's a nice relief to watch a comic film when I know very little about the comics, it's a nice relief from seeing the discrepancies with the original stories. I guess Thor was a case in point, I didn't know much about his comic backstory and how things were supposed to look etc, except sort of generally.

Diabolu Frank said...

Captain America is probably my favorite super-hero, and I'm glad the new trailers look to finally capture why I love the character.

Aaron said...

Cap I know a bit more about than Thor & I'm kind of boning up a bit in anticipation.

MOCK! said...

I love the "January Jones Effect"....made my (non-comic loving) laugh out loud. Do you have other examples?

Aaron said...

Thanks!...can't think of any off the top of my head but as they come up I'll post sequels to this post.